Thursday, February 2, 2012

Beginnings

I've started this blog to record anything associated with the 11th (North Devonshire) Regiment Foot.If you have an ancestor who served in the 11th, a piece of memorabilia, or a story, please forward it on to be posted on the blog!

What to post first? My ancestors served in the 11th, and settled in New South Wales, so I thought I'd start with a tidbit I found in the Sydney Morning Herald, regarding the death of apparently the last veteran of the 11th Regiment of Foot remaining in Australia in 1913.

The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday 13 February 1914
DEATHS
SMITH. In loving remembrance of our dear father, William Smith, the last of the 11th Regment of Foot, who died February 13, 1913, at Stanmore.

It is surely difficult to verify the veracity of the claim, but as the Regiment departed the shores of New South Wales in 1857, it is a reasonable claim. It also suggests that the veterans of the 11th Regiment of Foot maintained contact after pensioning out in New South Wales.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, I'd love to discuss the 11th with you so if you're interested could you email me? sucompton60@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gt gt grandfather served with the 1st Battalion 11th Regiment of Foot from 4 Feb 1842 until 7 Sept 1863 (21 years & 237 days according to his discharge papers). As a corporal he married in Gillingham, Kent 9 days before he, his wife and the Regiment sailed on "Castle Eden" for Australia. He was posted to VDL - Ross - where his first child was born on 11 March 1846 - did he celebrate in "The Man o'Ross Hotel"? I've just returned to NZ from Tasmania where I explored Ross and found that the history society there had no knowledge of the Regiment being stationed there!

    ReplyDelete